Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Long Update




Sorry for the poor upkeep, I still haven’t gotten into much of a routine here and I never know what kind of internet connection I’ll have. But all at one time there’s a lot to update and not much at all.

Two days ago I got out of the house late, I forgot my rain jacket and decided not to go back and get it even though it was drizzling. Drizzle turned to rain and a little over a half hour later I arrived at my class registry session soaked and shivering. It was my own fault but at the time it was easier to blame everyone else…people that bumped into me on the street, cars that seemed to deliberately be splashing through puddles, etc. I unhappily (because of the rain, not the classes) signed up for history, anthropology, 20th century literature, and writing (all of them focusing on Spain), and then I left frustrated by the poor internet and the idea of a long walk home. In my frustration I turned the wrong way out of my classroom building and began what was to become an hour long trek through a labyrinth of narrow streets, where the rooftops hang over the perfect amount so that they can soak you with the really big drops as you walk along.

I finally got home and was at what you could call a low point just because I let myself get there. I took off all my wet clothes and hopped in bed. I took a short nap, read my Bible, and prayed. And not to sound like a televangelist, but it worked. One of the verses I read was sent to me in a note last week in Jamaica, and although then it was meant to encourage me working in a town of poverty, it applied just as well to me in a big city, but feeling very alone. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4. Thinking about it that way, days like this are exactly what I need over here. I didn’t leave friends and family to skype them all the time and always feel comfortable. The whole point is to test myself in a foreign place and learn everything to be a complete person, with perspective, patience, and as much wisdom as I can get.

Yesterday was Sunday, and so I went to church, and it was difficult to say the least. It involved a lot of muttering prayers in Spanish during which I just muttered jibberish so that I wouldn’t stand out. I was already against the odds in that department because I was about the 3rd tallest person in attendance, which could be a result that I was also top 5 youngest. I hate to say it but overall church was uncomfortable. However, the church was the most beautiful church I have ever been in, and every word the priest say rose up into the high ceiling before booming down back at us. I couldn’t help but wonder what my chances of playing guitar in there might be. And speaking of guitar…this morning I could resist no longer. I had scoped out 3 handmade guitar shops and ventured into the city to claim my Excalibur. Needless to say it didn’t take me long. I found a beautiful guitar and the craftsman assured me I could not find a handmade Spanish guitar for any cheaper, and the deal was done.


Here's the inside of the church I went to ^


Here's my guitar^

The best part of the story is that when I got home, Dolores, who is 63 years old demanded I play for her, and although I was just playing the chords to Brown-Eyed Girl, she started singing at the top of her lungs in words I could not understand. The only thing I understood came after she was done singing when she told me very slowly and deliberately, “I will invite my friends and they will come this week.” I haven’t had the stomach to ask about that so stay posted.

But back to yesterday…I spent a lot of the day wandering the city and reading my guidebook, but the late afternoon and evening I spent with Antonio. Dolores was at work (at a hospital) all day, so Antonio and I had some serious man time for bonding. First we watched a Spanish comedy, which pretty much follows the plot of a three stooges film, and then we watched a romance. Antonio clearly was very high about the romance and I missed the first part of it going over school stuff, but he went over everything in great detail about how these two people were torn apart by their families but ended up escaping to marry in Mexico. As the movie went on, Antonio fell asleep, and I became very confused. For two married people with family quarrels behind, they seemed to be in a tight spot and their families apparently had not adjusted to the marriage. It wasn’t until the last scene where the two married on a beach that I realized Antonio hadn’t given me a summary of what I’d missed, he’d told me the plot of the entire movie.



Here's my senor, Antonio^

At dinner, Antonio told me about his family, with 8 brothers and sisters (2 of which have passed away), and how his mother died of a stomach infection. He talked about past professions, which involved a lot of specific vocabulary, making it hard to decipher at times. What was not difficult to understand was that he had been working full time since he was 14 worked up until about 9 years ago (he is 69 now). He worked in fruit and vegetable factories (again, not really sure), and some sort of mechanical factory. But his favorite job was at a shoestore where he repaired people’s old shoes. All of these things he did with his hands, and I couldn’t keep from trying to imagine those hands at work, for over 45 years. His hands have worked through Korea, Vietnam, the Cold War, almost a near complete change of the Spanish government, and I realized what an honor it was to have this man share his story. It’s not important or valuable because of the facts but because it is his unique story, the story of his life apart from the opinion and reception of everyone else. It made me think about how I’ve just only recently really listened to my grandfathers story, and it makes me hope that I will daily see the meaning and value in the lives around us because we all know first hand that this is not always easy or convenient.

Today brought not only the purchase of my guitar, but also the first day of classes. I was worried about it because my Spanish is simply not very good, but my professor’s name was Jesus so how bad could it be? Turns out the first ten minutes were really bad. We were getting assignments left and right but then Jesus told us he was just kidding and hopes we all had a good scare. The rest of the class went much faster than a 3 hour grammar class should, and we learned a lot of immediately useful things. I left thinking there might be hope for me after all.

This won’t mean anything at all to most of you, but on the way home I noticed this sign and knew things were looking up.


On a bad note, I realized today when I lifted up the trashcan lid that the “no toilet paper in the toilet rule” applies to my house as well as my study center. I can’t explain to you my dismay…and I imagine the turtles aren’t too fond of this rule either, as they live next to the bathroom trashcan.

Until next time.

2 comments:

  1. Through the many trials that you'll go through...Bruce has got your back. Is it weird for you that your host family has to take out the bathroom trash? I guess that's how McClain's maid must have felt on the cruise.

    Have you named the turtles yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough to describe my joy to see bruce over there. I can't imagine how at home you felt when you saw those black jeans. This blog is great, cams. Keep posting.

    ReplyDelete